Sports

Barcelona Hunt for Lewandowski Replacement Following £65 Million Rodri Deal

Deco targets striking additions following £65 million Rodri signing

Barcelona‘s primary roster priority has shifted to securing a long-term replacement for Robert Lewandowski, sporting director Deco confirmed, even as the club finalized a £65 million deal for midfielder Rodri following the Polish striker’s departure at the end of his contract.

Spain captain Rodri, who had been under contract at Manchester City through 2027, officially arrived at Barca on Tuesday amid widespread speculation that the transfer was partly intended to prevent Real Madrid from securing the highly regarded midfielder.

“Initially, he wasn’t in our plans because we thought he wasn’t available,” Deco told TV3, via Mundo Deportivo.

“We didn’t sign him to take a player from Madrid. That would be a mistake. He’s one of the best midfielders in the world. We’re certain he can contribute and that’s why it makes sense.”

Rodri: Barcelona deal with Man City ‘improves team’

Deco described the Rodri signing as a market “opportunity” that Barcelona seized, pointing out that the board executed similar strategies when acquiring Anthony Gordon, Karim Adeyemi, Jesse Bisiwu and Joao Cancelo.

“We’re happy with everyone. Every signing we’ve made has a purpose. Before signing anyone, we discussed it extensively before making a decision.

“Everything has a purpose: to improve the team. Rodri improves it.”

The 30-year-old was the final player introduced during the traditional pre-match squad presentation prior to the Joan Gamper Trophy game on Wednesday.

Rodri earned the loudest cheers from the Camp Nou crowd during player walkouts, though the 2024 Ballon d’Or winner sat out the 2-1 victory over Egyptian club Al Ahly, which featured first-half goals from captain Raphinha and 18-year-old forward Hamza Abdelkarim.

<img width="1024" height="536" src="https://nile1.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2026/08/shutterstock_2361818931-1-1-1024×536.jpg" alt="Football manager Hansi Flick looking to his right as a head coach in a technical area” />

Barcelona transfers: Lewandowski replacement looms

While Abdelkarim has tallied four pre-season goals and newcomers Adeyemi and Gordon provide extra attacking breadth, La Liga’s highest-scoring team last season faces a major challenge replacing Robert Lewandowski’s productivity before the transfer window shuts on September 1.

Now competing for MLS side Chicago Fire, the Poland star—who turns 38 on Friday—scored 119 goals in 191 games for Barcelona between 2022 and 2026, winning three La Liga titles and the 2025 Copa del Rey despite taking on a reduced role in his final campaign.

Replacing Lewandowski presents a significant tactical and economic hurdle for Barcelona, as the veteran forward averaged over 25 goals per season during his tenure. Finding a comparable target man within La Liga’s strict financial guidelines leaves the sporting department balancing immediate goalscoring requirements against long-term financial stability.

“Two players have left,” reflected Deco. “Ferran [Torres, to Paris Saint-Germain] and Robert. We can fill Ferran’s role with the new additions, but replacing Robert is very difficult.

“Even if you find a good player, it’s very difficult because he defined an era with us. We have internal solutions but we will certainly make some moves.

“It’s about finding the best solution. We are working to see what we can do between now and the end of the season.”

Hansi Flick: Barca signing Rodri ‘one of the best’

Flick praised Deco for “doing a great job” and confirmed Barca are “looking for that player” in attack.

“Hamza is a good striker,” Flick said after the trophy win. “We can see it when he attacks crosses.

“I saw him holding onto the ball [against Al-Ahly], which is good. This is what I want to see from him.

“Rodri showed at the World Cup that he was one of the best; he gave structure to the team, organises the game well and can decide whether to play faster or slower. He’s a leader.”

Initially arriving on loan for Barcelona B in February, Egypt international Abdelkarim signed permanently for around £1.3m in June and has delivered an impressive pre-season run that suggests the club has secured another top young talent.

What’s next? Barcelona fixtures, schedule

Barcelona will open their La Liga title defense against Elche on August 23 (20:30 BST), with management continuing to explore squad additions prior to matchday one.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button